Divorce and Separation

From the start to the conclusion of the process, we are specialists in divorce and separation law since 1994 representing clients in all aspects of divorce, financial matters and cases involving children.

Get in touch to book a free 20 minute consultation

Enquire now

As specialist divorce lawyers, we understand how difficult it can be when a relationship breaks down. We know the legal process and uncertainty of outcome can cause increased anxiety and we offer a supportive yet objective view.

We are able to assist in the early stages of the divorce process right through to conclusion and can often accommodate clients who may wish to deal with their matrimonial or family matters outside of normal business hours.

We can deal with your divorce and matrimonial issues swiftly and in a cost-effective way no matter where in England and Wales you and your spouse live. We can also secure a divorce in the English courts for foreign nationals who live here and also act for British Nationals living overseas who want their divorce dealt with by the English courts rather than by a foreign court.

We offer a personal service tailor made for your personal circumstances and budget. You remain in control by being able to refer to us for help and advice as much or as little as you wish, throughout the process or at any stage, and as many times as you need to.

About Divorce

You can only ask for a divorce if you have been married for more than one year. The court has to be satisfied the marriage has broken down irretrievably and the party who is seeking a divorce can no longer tolerate being married.

The divorce proceedings are issued at a divorce centre by sending the documents in the post or a divorce can be dealt with through the Court online portal. There is no need to attend the Court unless the other person is defending the divorce or there is a dispute as to the cost of the divorce proceedings. See below for a more detailed explanation of the divorce process.

We can deal with your divorce, if it is uncontested (which is usually the case) for a fixed fee of £750. This covers all the work involved in obtaining your divorce, including preparation of an initial conciliatory letter to your spouse, for your approval, prior to issuing the divorce proceedings explaining the process and inviting their co-operation. You will also have to pay the Court fee for issuing divorce proceedings which is currently £593. Some helpful general guides to divorce and separation are available for the public to download free from the Advice Now website.

If you are divorcing you must deal with financial issues, even if you simply have an order by agreement specifying that neither of you can make any financial claim on the other in the future. This is known as a financial consent order, or, if there is no ongoing financial obligation to one another, a clean break order.

This is because divorce gives the court the ability to make financial orders such as property transfer, lump sum payment, pension sharing and maintenance orders and that possibility remains unless and until the court makes an order extinguishing the right to make such a claim.

If you do not address this at the time you are divorcing, your former spouse can make a claim on you at any time in the future, your circumstances may be very different in the future and the court will be looking at the ‘needs’ of both of you at the time the claim is made, not at the time you separated or divorced. This has the potential to produce a very unfair result so it is better to address the financial issues as soon as possible after separation as part of the divorce proceedings.

If you are struggling to cope with the emotional effects of relationship breakdown, separation and divorce the NHS offers some helpful advice for divorcing couples here.

Enquire now

The Divorce Process

The legal process for obtaining a divorce follows a standard procedure as explained below.

  • Filing the Divorce Petition

    This step is the request to the court to start the divorce. The petition is the formal document that applies for the divorce and contains amongst other things the details of both parties and the reason for seeking the divorce. There is only one ground for divorce and that is that your marriage has broken down irretrievably.

    The person applying for the divorce is referred to as the applicant (formerly the Petitioner). The other spouse is referred to as the Respondent.

    It is good practice to send a copy of the divorce petition to the other party to see if the details can be agreed before sending it to the court to issue the divorce proceedings so as to try to avoid a defended divorce. The divorce petition is then sent together with the original marriage certificate and the Court fee, currently £593, to the Court, or the details are entered on the court portal and the marriage certificate uploaded to the court portal, to start the divorce process.

  • Service of the Petition

    The Court checks the documentation and, if they are satisfied that it complies with all the requirements, they officially ‘issue’ the divorce petition. They will then send a copy of the divorce petition in the post to the Respondent, or by email if an email address has been provided, together with a form for the Respondent to complete and return to the Court. This form is known as the Acknowledgement of Service form, it can be completed via the court portal also, the court will provide the Respondent with details of how to do so.

  • Acknowledging Service of the Petition

    The Respondent is required to return the Acknowledgment of Service form to the Court within 7 days of receipt of the divorce papers, or longer if the court specifies a longer period, indicating whether or not they wish to dispute the divorce proceedings. If they do want to dispute the divorce they have to file another form called an ‘Answer’ within 28 days of receiving the Petition.

    In the event the Respondent fails to return their acknowledgement form, it will be necessary to consider personal service of the papers by either the Court Bailiff or a private process server, in many cases proving that the Respondent has received the divorce papers, by providing the Court with a sworn statement from a process server or the Court bailiff will be sufficient for the court to progress with the divorce even if the Respondent chooses to take no part in the process.

    If the Respondent does not respond to the petition, it will be important to make a note of any admissions by them that they have received it, i.e. text messages or emails that state they have received and read the divorce petition or any reference in correspondence to the content of the divorce petition. This may be sufficient for a statement to be provided to the court showing that the Respondent clearly has knowledge of the divorce proceedings but has chosen not to reply and for the court to allow the divorce to proceed without the Acknowledgement of Service being received.

  • Confirming the Facts in your Petition

    When the Acknowledgement form is received by the Court (assuming it is returned by the Respondent) the Court will notify the applicant or their legal representative, or notify them via the court portal, who must then confirm the facts in the original Petition are true and that there have been no changes since the petition was signed and request that the court make a conditional order (what was previously known as Decree Nisi).


    The Court office will pass the divorce petition to a Judge for consideration. If the Judge is happy with all the documentation and the reasons for the divorce then he or she will sign the necessary form to approve the divorce and the Court will set a date on which the first of the two ‘orders’ of divorce, the conditional order (formerly the Decree Nisi), will be pronounced in Court. It is not usually necessary for the parties to attend Court to obtain the conditional order, the Judge will simply read out the list of names of the parties to the divorce in the court and ‘pronounce’ it. If however there is a dispute in relation to the costs of the divorce, then the Court may require the parties to attend at the hearing to make representations to the Judge. The conditional order is only the first stage of the divorce and it is just confirmation that the Judge is satisfied there are grounds for a divorce, the parties remain married until the Final Order (formerly Decree Absolute) is granted and in many cases, where there are outstanding financial issues to be resolved, the Final order will come much later once there has been a financial settlement reached by agreement or ordered by the court.


    Six weeks and one day after the conditional order, the Petitioner can apply for the final order, (previously called the Decree Absolute). Once this has been granted by the Court, the parties are officially divorced.

    If the Applicant fails to apply for the final order after six weeks and one day, then the Respondent can apply 3 months after that date, but it is usually preferable for both parties not to have the final order on the divorce until financial issues are resolved, because there are certain potential benefits such as life insurance, death in service benefits and widow’s or widower’s pensions which can be lost on divorce.

How Long does the Divorce process take?

If the divorce is allowed to proceed undefended, which is usually the case, because both parties have agreed to the divorce, provided the parties complete and return the divorce paperwork quickly, a divorce can be obtained in 4-6 months. There is a mandatory waiting period of 20 weeks between the issue of the divorce and the application for conditional order. The final order can be applied for 6 weeks later, there may be reasons however why the application for the final order should be delayed, for example because the financial issues have not yet been resolved, and there are also occasions where the court has a back-log of cases, which can create delay. The divorce process is now dealt with at specified divorce centres where a number of Judges are considering the cases that are not defended so the timescale for divorce can vary greatly depending on the court workload and number of Judges available each day.

If the parties cannot agree or delays are made in the completion and return of papers to the Court this can also extend the time it takes to complete a divorce.

Get in touch to book a free 20 minute consultation

Enquire now